Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Baby Food Blunder

I have ruined my dear baby. She will have to eat cheetos, ice cream, and candy for the rest of her life. Okay, maybe not. I decided to try Avery on baby food. I went to Wal-mart and read labels and determined that there was not a big difference between organic baby food and regular baby food, just the price. So, after careful consideration and thought, I picked out a few different kinds of Gerber baby food that comes in the plastic containers. I picked out bananas, peaches, pears, and squash. I thought I would try bananas because I didn't want anything that could be hard on her stomach. So, as any proud mom would do, I carefully placed a bib on her and fed her a little of the bananas. She responded better than when I tried rice cereal. I thought I was doing good. I know you are supposed to give the same food for 3-4 days to be sure no allergic reaction occurs. I was proudly telling my friend at how well she did and she said, "You started with fruits?" I said yeah, she liked it pretty good too. She said, "Oh no, you aren't supposed to start with fruits, they get the taste for sweet and will never eat the meat or vege." I was crushed. I want to teach Avery better eating habits than I have for myself. I want the best I can give, that's why I breastfeed her. Well, I did bananas for 3 days like recommended and then attempted to give her squash. She hated it, even acted like she was gagging. I tasted it and it wasn't all that bad. I messed her up though. I might as well just pureed high fructose corn syrup and mix it with a whopper and fries. We will have to stick with the squash one or two more feedings and then I'll try a new vege. I hope she won't be as picky as I am. Maybe I haven't ruined her yet...

1 comment:

The Blackmons said...

Ha! I love this story! And trust me, you haven't ruined her eating habits. I know so many people that have done the same thing. It might take some readjusting, but Avery will probably pick it right up and enjoy it!! Bananas are the best though...Baker LOVES them! I do, however, bet that if you did puree a Big Mac and fries that she would down it! Ha!